Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May 23- Easy Readers

 
Easy to read books are designed to be read by children beginning reading skills (k-2)  
·        The vocabulary is controlled so young readers can manage independently
·        May have a few words on a page or have a few chapters
·        Publishers provide a level number, usually on the cover/back cover 
·        Designed for learning the most frequently used words also called "sight words"
·        High repetition of words insures success        
·        Struggling readers need word-recognition instruction that includes high-frequency words
·        Have larger print than picture books and chapter books
·        More space between the lines make it easier to read
·        Word patterns- may focus on a particular sound like “at” words (sat, cat, rat, fat)
·        Rhyming text
·        Many series books and TV show tie-ins are popular with young readers because they are instantly familiar with the characters and setting
·        As I said last week like in the public library the school library should have these books in a separate section
·        In recent years several authors have taken their popular characters and wrote easy readers versions, for example Young Cam Jansen, Curious George, Fancy Nancy, Marley (the dog), Arthur
·        While weeding outdated books is essential I suggest school librarians keep and update copies of classics series book like:

Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant. This is a sweet series about the adventures of an only child and his lovable dog Mudge.
For lessons introduce the section by reading a series books like: Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant. Lesson plans


Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish. The funny series about a maid who takes follows her instruction literally. Amelia has expanded into picture books about her childhood.






Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel. The story of two friends, each chapter is a standalone story. This book is one of the few easy readers to win the John Newbery Award.






Morris  Goes to School by Bernard Wiseman. Morris the Morris enjoys learning about counting and spelling when he visits a classroom.





Of course keep clean copies of all Dr. Seuss easy readers- Green Eggs and Ham, The Foot Book, Hop on Pop, Go Dog Go








     Right now there are even more authors are creating fresh and very funny characters are designed for this special age group. Inculding Mo Willems, Ted Arnolds, Laura McGee Kvasnosky, Grace Lin and Jean Van Leeuwen.





5 comments:

  1. I remember Morris ans Boris books from when I was a child. Morris always seemed to never get anything correct, and Boris, who had little patience, was always trying his hardest to steer Morris in the right direction. The books had plenty of rhyming words and that is where Morris the moose always fumbled and got everything mixed up. Even though childrens literature has plenty of new characters that kids become familiar with today, it is nice to share some characters that I loved with my kids, because of their longevity,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was such a reluctant reader in elementary school that when all my classmates were reading chapter books I convinced my teacher to let me read 13 "Cat in the Hat" books instead. I loved those books until my friends started to tease me in 4th grade! That is when I moved to Goosebumps and a couple others.

    -Mark Navins

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the "Cat in the Hat" books. I remember my mother being amazed because I could read at such a young age. But actually, I probably just memorized the words and repeated them. In third grade there was a picture book I absolutely loved. It had crazy weird characters and a huge purple blob and flying animals. I have searched forever for that book but have yet been able to find it again. Picture books are the books that children fall in love with and which begins a lifelong love of reading, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love Dr. Seuss. Since I was a child I have read his books and enjoyed every single one. I own quite a few and have read them to my own children. When I was going to school for teaching I did a research project about him and was quite surprised to learn about his life. When I read his books now I look for the message he was trying to promote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always enjoyed the Amelia Bedelia series. I own the complete set and even though I teach 4th grade, I keep them in my library. They have a lot of teachable moments in them, and are always good for a laugh, which is how I remember them from when I was young. This type of book is pinnacle to the age group it supports. That bridging time from picture books to chapter books is so critical, and these books helps kids sustain a love of reading.

    ReplyDelete